Friday, March 27, 2015

Rob Leedic talks about the massive advantages of VB6 vs. VB.NET

I'm not trying to debate on the economics of the issue, just the common complaint that MS did all of this to make money from developers. The only mistake MS made was thinking that all VB6 developers wanted an insecure, crowded and slow language like VB.NET (some did).
It's also not about taking the easy road. My VB6 code is far more complex than anything that I was ever able to produce in VB.NET, or ever would have been able to. The difference is I don't have to worry about silly things like formatting code, or moving controls around a form for different resolutions, I can focus on more important things. Just because something is hard or easy doesn't make it right or wrong. Some of the things that make VB6 easier also help produce better code by producing less, and less replication.
For me, the long and short of all of this is that my VB6 programs are faster, leaner, and have a far better feature set than my VB.NET versions ever could. This all benefits my end user.
Just because a portion of the VB6 community didn't migrate, doesn't mean the MS missed the mark. Frankly the greater VB6 community is massive, and far overshadows any prior MS community.


No comments:

Post a Comment